- ABOUT THE COMPANY
- THE MINE OF THE PAST AND OF TODAY
- THE MINE OF CULTURE
- OUR BAND
- BOOK OF GUESTS
The “Wieliczka” Salt Mine Representative Brass Band commenced its official artistic existence in 1830, then, under the name of the Imperial and Royal Salinary Music. The year 2010 marks the 180th anniversary of its uninterrupted music. Today, this is Europe’s oldest brass band which, despite its old age, maintains musical vigour typical of youth, with their music performances entertaining further generations of listeners.
Throughout its long history, the band performed not only to entertain tourists sight-seeing the underground world of salt, but it also played at all church celebrations, especially those connected with mining traditions. Gala parades to the rhythms of the miners’ band were held on holidays of saint patrons: St. Clemens, St. Kinga, and St. Barbara. The band played on Easter Saturday, Corpus Christi, and at all funerals of miners.
The miners’ band played at the moments of historic gravity for Poland, among others in 1923 - during the ceremony of laying a corner stone of the Krakow’s AGH University of Science and Technology, at the unveiling of the Grunwald Monument in 1910, on the 500th anniversary of the Jagiellonian University in 1900, at the return of remains of Adam Mickiewicz in 1890. As in the past the band used to play for Emperor Franz Josef on his birthday, so today they also perform for crowned heads and other celebrities who visit the historic undergrounds and provide the best music setting of important events.